Monday, March 18, 2013

Always a hockey mom in training...

It's not easy being a hockey mom.  I'm not complaining, I'm just stating the facts.  It's a smelly, gas hogging, tireless, mostly thankless job.  This blog is meant to portray the good, the bad, the ugly and the funny that is being a hockey mom (or dad) in training.

I have three kids, a Mite, a Mini-Mite (both boys) and a 20 month old little angel who hates watching her brothers play hockey.

This is her exhibiting how much she hates watching hockey (imagine flailing legs, loud screeching sounds and crocodile tears).

I'd like to think that her protests are a hint at things to come, you know her not playing hockey.  But, my hopes are dashed every. single. night when she joins her brothers in a game of living room hockey.  Expensive television, be damned.

Hockey has always been my favorite sport, I played field hockey in high school.  I never caught the bug early enough to get really good at it.  Our family became hockey addicts in 2004 when our hometown got a QMJHL Hockey team.  My oldest son attended his first hockey game at the tender age of 5 days old, my youngest son was just 3 days old.  Yes, it's sick, I know.

Fast forward to now.  My oldest son has aspirations of making the USA Hockey Team.  Yes, it's a VERY long shot, but if he's willing to work toward a goal at the tender age of 7...GO FOR IT!  This is where our very long journey of hockey mom training begins.  

This summer he plans to get a trainer to develop speed and accuracy, his words, not mine, not my husbands.  He shoots from dawn to dusk, much to the chagrin of several windows, garage doors, siding. I will keep you posted on the progress.

For now, I must go disinfect some gear and get it ready for the four week hiatus.  Heaven help my sense of smell.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to hearing about your journey! And I love how driven your son is!!

    ReplyDelete