Monday, March 25, 2013

Hockey Mom Does Couch 2 5K

This was our first hockey-free weekend (HFW) since September 2012.  We probably have less than 10 totally HFW's each year.  The strange thing about it is, I miss hockey.

I imagine all season what I would do without hockey for a weekend. I imagine a sparkling clean house, slaving over hot meals, quietly reading stories by the fire.

REALITY.  I have a crap-ton of errands to run, the kids are going stir crazy, there is still freaking snow on the ground and the week we just had was so profoundly awful that no one was ready to stay home and get down to the business of life without hockey.

My oldest is dying to start a "training regimen".  His words-not mine.  In the midst of a hockey-fueled fog, I told him that he and I could train to run a 5k together.  So, this weekend, we began our C25K (couch to 5K ) training regimen.

The whole fam, including hubs and all three kids went out to begin our first day of training.  We strapped Ally in her stroller and began our "easy" first day of training. Fast-forward to half way through, my 5 year old bites it on the tar, rolls into a snow bank.  I had to run (I use the term loosely) back to get him.  Even my 7 year old was complaining that he was tired by the end of it. I don't think he was tired, but bored.  Yeah, I guess taking the whole puck whizzing by your head thing out of the picture and physical activity isn't nearly as fun.

Our next day of training is Wednesday.  Let's see if the whole fam makes it through that one:)


No comments:

Post a Comment